Thursday, April 5, 2012

Anthology: Myths and Magic


Myths and Magic: Legends of Love eBook
I bought four anthologies today (I couldn't help it!) because Dreamspinner Press was having a sale.

The first one - Myths and Magic: Legends of Love - so far, has been worth buying solely for one story. "The Sower and the Reaper", by Helen Madden. (Some of the other stories were good, and one or two made me roll my eyes, but I won't get into that here.)

It's the story of an eighteen-year-old boy who goes looking for a God (who is, amusingly enough, named "Ozzie") in order to save his people. The apocalyptic world it's set in is very original, IMO; I'd describe it, but I don't want to spoil things.

The sex scene was great. Picture this: a God-like immortal, and a barely-legal kid that's pretty much forced to have sex with him. This is normally the part where the author has some sort of pseudo-rape scene. But no! Ozzie's just so human about it, so rational, so blunt, so understanding. He doesn't use force or coercion. He's not a creep. He explains things and treats the kid like an adult.

I mean, I can't even describe how much I loved this story. It makes this anthology 100% worth buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment